Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Best! Spring! Ever!!!

What I look like when I get
into the office first thing in the
 morning during the summer
Having grown up and spent 22 years of my live in New England, I was kind of forced to enjoy long Winters, longer than normal Spring and Fall, and short Summers.  So it is no doubt I'm the type of guy who enjoys cooler weather and not the brutal furnace known as the Summer in the Mid-Atlantic region.

Now that I'm living here in Maryland, by the time May comes around, I'm already complaining to anyone who will listen (and a few who won't) about how I feel robbed of a legitimate Spring season.  It seems like the minute the trees start to bud and the robins arrive Mother Nature turns on the heat and doesn't let up until October.  It's downright rude and unfair.  Not this year though.  Daytime highs in the mid-70s, absolutely no humidity, and a slight breeze is what she has on the menu every day and this "husky gentleman" is eating every last morsel.   

The Adirondack chairs getting
no love from the snow
This all hit me this past Sunday afternoon.  My wife and I were able to do something we've never actually done since moving to Elkridge in July of 2009.  We sat on the front porch together, in the beautiful Adirondack chairs my Dad made for us as a housewarming gift, enjoying a spectacular afternoon.  She had a book in hand and I just sat there cherishing every minute of what I consider the best weather ever.  And it was apparent we weren't the only ones taking in the exceptional afternoon.  Neighbors walked around, enjoying themselves like something you'd expect to see in a modern day Norman Rockwell painting.  This was suburbia at its best.  This was a perfect snapshot into my American Dream.  

So as I sit here soaking up every minute that this Spring has to offer, I'm reminded of one of my favorite songs by the Canadian power trio, Rush.  Their song Time Stand Still always serves to me as a reminder that sometimes you need to slow down in life and just soak up everything you can in the moment.  Here's an excerpt from the song that really says it all.
Time stand still.  I'm not looking back, but I want to look around me now.  Time stand still.  See more of the people and the places that surround me now.  Freeze this moment a little bit longer.  Make each sensation a little bit stronger.   
I refuse to put a picture of the mulleted band that recorded
Time Stand Still back in 1987, so you get this classic from 1978.
So as you go about doing what you love to do in the Spring time, please take a minute or two to sit back and think about how exceptional the weather has been around Maryland so far this year.  Trust me.  It will give you something pleasant to think back to as you sit in a puddle of sweat brought on by the brutal temperatures coming to area again in another couple months.

Cheers!
Brent



No comments:

Post a Comment